Is Wasp Spray Flammable?

Wasp spray is a highly effective method of killing wasps and hornets. However, the question remains: is it flammable? 

The answer to this question is yes, but it depends on the ingredients in the spray and how much of each ingredient is included in the canister. Thus, it’s important to be careful with wasp sprays as they may catch fire when handled incorrectly or if left near other flammable materials such as paper or wood.

Let us take a deep dive into wasp sprays and more information on their flammability. 

What’s in wasp spray that makes it flammable?

The active ingredient in a wasp spray is an insecticide. Insecticides are made to kill insects, and these can be very toxic to humans. In fact, the EPA lists several of them as carcinogenic or toxic to humans or animals and even bans some of them altogether depending on their toxicity.

Wasp sprays also contain flammable solvents like alcohol and ether, as well as flammable propellants like butane, propane, and carbon dioxide (CO2). The combination of these ingredients makes up what we call “flammable” in order to pass safety tests required by law for this product category under EPA regulations.

However if you’re thinking about using your own concoction for defense against yellowjackets or wasps – don’t! You’ll probably find yourself with bigger problems than an angry bee colony when you decide it’s time for revenge!

How toxic are wasp sprays?

You might be surprised to hear that wasp sprays are not toxic to wasps. They’re designed to spray on the outside of your house and kill any insects that come near it. However, this doesn’t mean you should let your guard down when using it. 

Wasp spray is toxic to humans and animals (especially birds) if they ingest it or get it into their eyes or nose. It can also be harmful if you breathe in the fumes from a fire caused by a hot surface that came into contact with wasp spray while being cleaned up by an unsuspecting homeowner.

On top of this, some types of wasp sprays contain chemicals that can be toxic for plants as well—in fact, some contain ingredients like DEET (which is also used in insect repellent) which will cause lasting damage if sprayed directly onto plant leaves! 

So if you plan on using one of these products around your home or garden then please make sure there’s at least 20 feet between where you store them (so pets don’t accidentally eat them) and any vegetation containing chlorophyll–which includes most plant life including grasses & vegetables.

Is wasp spray still toxic after use?

A wasp spray is still toxic to you even if it’s been used and the wasps are dead or not around.

If you have used a wasp spray, then yes, the active ingredients are still toxic to you. This makes sense because those chemicals are what killed the wasps in the first place!

This means that even after using a can of any brand-name aerosol product if there were any dead or dying insects in your yard when spraying them with insecticide from an aerosol can then these little guys may still be able to hurt you when they come back later on down their own road (if they do).

What is wasp spray made of?

Wasp spray contains a mixture of pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide. Pyrethrins are derived from the Chrysanthemum flower, which has some toxicity to insects. Piperonyl butoxide is a synergist that helps the pyrethrins work better. 

Synergists are chemicals that make other chemicals more potent, so they can be used in lower concentrations. They help the effects of one substance to occur when they wouldn’t otherwise, or happen faster than they would without them.

Insecticides containing pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide are sometimes called synergized pyrethrins. These products are usually available in the form of dusts, sprays, and aerosols. They are typically used indoors to control fleas and ticks on dogs, cats, and other pets.

Are there any non-flammable wasp sprays?

There are several types of non-flammable wasp sprays. They are usually made with the same active ingredients as flammable ones, but they contain other chemicals that make them less likely to ignite when you spray them onto a nest. These products are also known as “no flames” or “non-flaming” pesticides.

The most common ingredients in these sprays are pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide. They kill wasps by disrupting their nervous system and stopping them from being able to walk or fly. In addition, the chemicals cause the wasps’ exoskeletons to lose moisture and become brittle. 

When they return to their nests, other members of the colony eat them and become poisoned as well.

How long does a wasp spray dissipates?

Wasp spray is designed to stay in place for a long time, but it depends on the type of wasp spray you purchase. Some sprays are designed to dissipate quickly and others are meant to hang around for hours at a time. 

The most common sprays on the market today will evaporate within two hours, while some can take up to 12 hours or more before they completely evaporate. If your goal is to keep wasps away from your home and car, this might not be an issue at all.

However, if you want something that lasts longer than two hours, there’s no guarantee that any brand will last forever!

Regardless of whether or not you’re looking for something with a specific time limitation, it’s always worth checking with the manufacturer before purchasing any product so that you know exactly what type of performance level is expected from their product (and thus what results you should expect).


Most wasp sprays may be flammable, but they have to be exposed to extreme heat for a long time in order for the substance to catch fire. Wasp spray is made with compressed air and a mixture of chemicals that includes ammonia and pyrethrins, which is why wasps are attracted to it in the first place!